Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sour Cream Apple Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

I made these muffins several weeks ago, but completely spaced taking pictures, and so I used it as an excuse to make them again. They are delicious, and definately get 5 stars.

Streusel Topping


1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/3 cup unbleached flour, 3-4 tablespoons of butter

I used a food processor, you can also use two knives, or possibly a blender, or the dough hook on a hand or bowl mixer.

Mix the flour and sugar, then add the butter in chunks.

The mixture should resemble course crumbs, You can see that I over stirred, I think this would have been better if I had used 3 tablespoons of butter instead of 4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muffins


In a large bowl combine 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground allspice (can substitute with pepper), 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped, 2 tablespoons dried currants.


Peel two large tart apples (I used granny smith)


Chop (you could probably even grate them as well, depends on if you want chunky). Set aside.

In another bowl melt 4 tablespoons of butter, then add 2 large eggs and 1 1/2 cups sour cream (16 oz container).


Mix apples and sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients. Only stir until evenly moistened, 15-20 strokes.


Spoon into greased muffin pan until even with the top (I actually added a little more then that) then sprinkle streusel on top.


Bake on 375 for 20-25 minutes. Let sit in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then loosen the edges with a turner or spatula. They came out really easy after 10 minutes. I used a butter knive to get them out, but be gentle otherwise it will scratch your pan. If you have a small spatula that will work as well.


mmmm, so good. I can tell you these muffins didn't even last a day!

A little experiment



I had a little left over batter and didn't want to break out another pan for two muffins so I cooked it in the microwave (with streusel on top) in a cereal bowl for 1 1/2 minutes. I was impressed with how well it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers