Thursday, October 15, 2009

Buttermilk Potato Bread

This bread was a little different, the first warm piece I had I didn't really like it. But after it cooled off it was good! I'm giving it 3 1/2 stars. I think it depends on what you like, my husband liked it a lot, as well as my good friend who comes and bakes with me.
*This dough can also be made into rolls, or one free form loaf.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(sorry about the online picture, I was still trying to figure out my documenting when I made this bread several weeks ago)

1 large russet potato (about 3/4 a lb)
Peel the potato and cut it into large pieces, place in a saucepan and cover with water. Cook until soft. Drain the water and reserve it, add water if you need to in order to have one cup. Mash the potato and set aside.




Warm or cool the potato water to 105-115 F. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons (2 packages active dry yeast) over the water with a pinch of sugar. Let sit until foamy.



In a saucepan,warm 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup cold buttermilk just until the butter melts.


Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, and mashed potato. Make sure the mashed potato is smooth, otherwise you will have lumps in your bread.

My hand mixer decided to go on to "mixer heaven" so we are doing this with a whisk/by hand until I get a new one...


In a large bowl, combine the yeast and potato mixture with 2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour. Mix until smooth (3 minutes by machine). Add the flour, 1/2 a cup at a time with a wooden spoon, until you have a soft dough. (6-7 cups total, add as much as you can, knead in the rest)


Knead for 10-15 minutes (or 5 minutes if you used an electric mixer), if dough begins to get sticky add a couple of tablespoons to keep going.

Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and rise until doubled, About an hour. Don't worry if it takes up to two. (sorry, another borrowed picture, I really dropped the ball on this one!)




Shape loaves and place into two 9x5 inch greased pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise about 3o minutes. You can brush with egg glaze (1 egg, a little water to thin it out), and sprinkle with poppy seeds.

20 minutes before baking preheat the oven to 375 F. Bake on center rack for 45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped with your finger.



Immediately remove from the pans and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers