Saturday, October 31, 2009

Orange-Date Tea Bread

Mmm, that is all I have to say about this awesome bread, 5 stars for sure. When my husband tasted it he said it reminded him of Christmas. I think it would make a delicious Christmas morning breakfast!



Preheat your oven to 350 F, and grease the pan of your choice. You have the option of using a 6 cup mini Bundt pan (I actually used my 8 cup) or a 81/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.

In a small bowl soak 3/4 cup of chopped dates in 1/4 a cup of boiling water.


Zest of one orange (to be added to the next step) I got between one and two tablespoons.

In a large bowl cream together 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter (at room temperature), 1 cup sugar, and grated zest of one orange. When fluffy add one egg and beat until combined.

In another bowl combine 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 a teaspoon of salt.

In a third bowl mix 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. (or use your liquid measuring cup if you want to save some dishes!)

Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat well after each addition. Then fold in 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely chopped pecans and the dates with their liquid.

Glaze: 1/3 cup sugar (I used powdered, but it really didn't specify a certain kind) and 3 tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice.

Now this is where things drop off and I don't have a picture of the final result! I had what I call "a moment". When you use a Bundt pan it is important to let the bread/cake cool COMPLETELY before you remove it from the pan. Unfortunately, I suppose from force of habit (when you make bread you normally remove it asap, otherwise it gets soggy) I guess I was in that mind frame because I pulled the tea bread from the oven and turned it onto a plate, ahhhhh, only about half of it came out. Not a pretty sight, I am sparing you all of the ghastly scene.
But it was still super tasty and delicious!

Note: The recipe says to let the tea bread sit for a day (wrapped tightly in plastic) to develop it's flavor, I thought it tasted just as good when it was warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers