Sunday, October 25, 2009

Classic Buttermilk Biscuits

mmm, there is nothing like a hot biscuit with butter. I grew up on baking powder biscuits, with a delicious lentil soup of course. Adding buttermilk adds yet another level of flavor that just makes you feel good. I like this recipe (though it still doesn't quite compare to my Mom's!) I give it 4 stars.




In a bowl (or food processor, etc.) Combine 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt and 6 tablespoons (3/4 of a stick) cold, unsalted butter, or solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces. Cut the butter into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs with no large chunks. (use pulse on food processor). If the butter starts to get soft rechill for 20 minutes.

Add egg and buttermilk, stirring just until moistened. (Note: If using food processor add buttermilk a little at a time, you may not need all it calls for)

After I mixed I put my dough into a bowl just to make scooping out easier. I grew up using the drop method, you can also roll these out, I think that is actually traditional. If you are rolling sprinkle flour on surface, roll no more then 3/4 an inch thick, then cut out with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter (or your favorite glass!!)



Place biscuits 1/2 an inch apart on the lightly greased baking sheet (I recommend air bake)

Bake 15-18 minutes on 425 F.

Other Possibilities:
2/3 cup cooked wild rice (added to dry ingredients in step 1)

Substitute 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour for an equal amount of unbleached flour and add to dry ingredients in step 1.

Add 1/4 cup coarsely chopped JalapeƱos (fresh or canned) with liquid ingredients in step 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers