Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cream Sherry-Pumpkin Bread

This recipe was a little interesting for me. I don't drink so I debated about whether to leave the cream sherry out, I've had plenty of good pumpkin bread without any kind of liqueur..but in the end I decided to try it, just to see if it really added that "lavish flavor dimension". It's a very good bread, but personally I think it would be just as good without it. I give this recipe 5 stars.
Also keep in mind you can substitute orange or pineapple juice for Sherry.


In a large bowl using a whisk or electric mixer combine 2 cups granulated sugar, 1 1/4 cups (packed) light brown sugar, 3 2/3 cups pureed fresh pumpkin OR a 29 oz. can pumpkin, 4 large eggs, 1 cup oil, such as walnut, almond or sunflower seed. (I used walnut)

In a large bowl combine 4 2/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons cloves, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander

With a large spatula combine the wet and dry mixtures and beat until smooth, Stir in 1/2 cup cream sherry. Beat vigorously until well blended, 1-2 minutes. The batter will be thick and fluffy.

The recipe actually calls for three loaf pans, and I only had two, so I used a bundt pan in place of the third loaf pan. Just remember to bake the bundt pan for less time then the loaf pans. In the oven (preheated to 350 F) bake 65-75 minutes. I baked the bundt for 45 minutes, and the loaf pans for only 60 and they came out perfect. Let the loaves stand for five minutes in the pans (the bundt until completely cool!) Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or up to 4 days.

Mmm, we made an orange glaze for the bundt. About 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and some powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Ummmmm! This looks so good! I didn't know you had this blog! Now I do!!!!
    Thanks for the comment about Christmas Breakfast.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Followers