Monday, September 21, 2009

Banana Bread

At the bottom of this post are some extra ingredients that I like to add along with an excellent low fat idea that is delicious!

I have to admit, I haven't always been the biggest banana bread fan, I like pumpkin a lot more. But after learning from this recipe about wrapping the bread up tight and refrigerating it overnight, plus adding extra ingredients, it has definately made a difference. This recipe gets 5 stars for sure!

After a losing battle with my camera's USB Port I resorted to using pictures other then my own!


1/2 cup oil
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 medium to large overripe bananas (12-14 oz) slightly mashed
1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda



Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease one or two 9x5 inch loaf pans (depending on the size of loaf you want), you can flour if you like, I didn't and they came out fine.

2. In a bowl combine oil, sugar, eggs and beat hard with a whisk or hand mixer until creamy and light colored. Add the vanilla and mashed banana.

3. In another bowl combine flour and baking soda, then add to the banana mixture.

4. Spoon/pour into pan(s) and bake for about 40 minutes for smaller loaves, 50 for large loaf. Loaf will be firm to the touch and slightly pull away from the edges. You can also use a toothpick/cake tester/etc.

Tip about Temperature:
If I am making a large loaf I bake it on 325 F, it doesn't burn on the outside this way while still doughy in the middle! You might have to cook it a little longer, check at 50 minutes then add five minutes at a time until done.

5. Place loaves on cooling rack and cool completely. Then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.





Extra's
Low Fat Version

1/4 C. Oil instead of 1/2
3/4 cup ground flaxseed
I have personally done this and it works great!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are extra ingredients that I like to add:
2 tsp. Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie spice
1 tsp. Lemon or Lime juice







Coming Up:
Farmstead Sourdough Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers