Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pita Revisited!

 First of all, I am going to share the link from take two of my pita experience. The directions here were excellent.

http://www.joepastry.com/category/bread/pita-bread/

This is what I learned:
Refridgerate the dough overnight!!!

Options for storage:
Make just a few at a time, keeping the dough in the fridge. (Be sure to warm up the dough for 30 minutes at room temperature before preparing them for baking)

Make them all, but keep in the freezer. They are easy to defrost.

I admit, I am pretty embarrassed that I published my first attempt, but I hope it makes all you want to master this fun bread!

All these tips will work for the Country Style Whole Wheat Pita!
 I made the mistake of hand shaping my first try. BAD, Caralee, BAD! Use a rolling pin and roll as thin as you can!

I cooked these directly on the pizza stone on the bottom oven rack! It only takes 2-3 minutes each side, oven 500 F. I cooked them two at a time. If you have a larger baking stone you can do more.

 Roll them all out at once, let them sit for 10 minutes, then right before placing them in the oven stretch them out just a little bit so they are super thin. They should be 6-8 inches in diameter.
 So awesome. Oh and make sure you don't let them sit out for to long, otherwise they dry out and you have a giant cracker that just breaks when you try to add fillings to it...yeah, I made this mistake...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers