Sunday, February 16, 2014

Buckwheat Pancakes

Tasty, and healthy too!! I wasn't sure how I would feel about these, I haven't been a buckwheat fan in the past. But it had a nice balance between the flours, so you got the taste of buckwheat, but it wasn't overwhelming. I thought the batter was pretty as well :)

First, in a large bowl mix together 1 3/4 a cup unbleached all purpose flour, 1/4 a cup dark buckwheat flour, and 2 tablespoons rolled oats.
Then add 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, grated zest of an orange (I would say about a tablespoon) and 1/4 a teaspoon of salt.
In another bowl use a whisk to mix 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk, 4 large eggs, and 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry. Whisk until moistened, I usually do about 12 seconds.
I always think about Alton Brown when I make pancakes, because in one particular episode (it was actually about waffles, but the rules apply here) he said "walk away, just walk away" :) Here is the clip from Good Eats for you to enjoy...WALK AWAY
Then let it sit for 15 minutes, this will take care of any lumps/flour pockets, etc.
Heat the griddle, or heavy skillet. I like my trusty red skillet that I got from the discount section at Target...hehe. Lightly grease, then use 1/4-1/3 measuring cup. This batter is pretty thick, so you can roll the batter in the pan (like you do with crepes) if you want to thin them out. Cook two minutes, flip, then another minute.
Serve immediately, or keep in a 200 F oven.
You can also cool them, then freeze in a large bag for a quick breakfast another morning.
Yum! I love pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers