Sunday, January 5, 2014

Squash Cloverleafs

These are AMAZING!! You should make them today!! I used butternut squash, which I have some to realize it the only thing I need to make all sorts of squash and pumpkin dishes. You should all try a pumpkin pie with butternut!

This recipe reminded me of orange rolls a lot. In fact, I think they are better then the last batch of orange rolls I made. When my husband was young his Mom would always make orange rolls for Christmas, so we have carried on the family tradition. I should have made these a long time ago. (Plus, it's a great way to get your family to eat squash...bahahaha)
In a mug or small bowl: 1/4 a cup of warm water, 1 tablespoon (or 1 packet) active dry yeast, and a pinch of brown sugar.
In a large bowl: 3/4 a cup warm milk, 1/4 a cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier (I substituted 1/2 a teaspoon of orange extract) 1 cup winter squash or pumpkin puree, 3 tablespoons brown sugar,  and grated zest of one orange (probably around 2 tablespoons..), then 6 tablespoons (3/4 a stick) of unsalted butter, melted.
Add the yeast mixture and two cups of unbleached all purpose flour.  Beat until smooth and creamy, about two minutes.  Gradually add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour, half a cup at a time. When the dough clears the bowl and isn't to sticky (but still soft) move to a work surface and knead for 3-4 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let raise until doubled, about an hour.
Gently deflate the dough. Lightly grease 18-24 muffin cups. (I used 18), Divide the dough into four portions, divide each of the four into three, then shape these into balls about the size of walnuts.  (about an inch wide)
Arrange three balls into each of the muffin cups. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let raise about twenty minutes (or until doubled). Preheat oven to 400 F  and bake 12-15 minutes.
Cool on wire racks and see how long they last!! Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers