Thursday, July 7, 2011

Seeded Dill Rye

I have been wanting to make a rye bread for awhile, I was very satisfied with this recipe. And my youngest daughter liked it a whole lot as well! I thought I would award it with 4 stars. (It sure makes me in the mood for a Reuben sandwich!)


In a small bowl (or liquid measuring cup) sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons of yeast over 1/2 a cup of warm water and sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar over the top as well. Let it sit about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl mix together: 1 1/2 cups rye flour (I used mild rye) 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk, 1 tablespoon each of dill weed and dill seed. (It also calls for 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds which I didn't have and it was fine without it) and also 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of warm water, 3 tablespoons of unsalted, melted butter, along with the yeast mixture. Mix well until smooth, about 3 minutes.
Then add 3 1 /2 to 4 cups of unbleached all purpose flour and/or bread flour 1/2 a cup at a time until the dough is shaggy and clears the side of the bowl. (Note: you may use more or less flour depending on the brand/batch)

Knead about 5 minutes, using flour as needed to prevent sticking. Let rise in a greased bowl covered with plastic wrap for 1 1/2 hours.

Divide dough into two portions and shape. Let raise in the 9x5 inch loaf pans for 40 minutes. If desired brush with egg glaze (1 egg, 1 tablespoon water/milk)

Twenty minutes before baking turn on the oven to 378 F. Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers