Sunday, January 12, 2014

Plum Crumb Cake

Do you ever have one of those days, you know the ones when your brain doesn't turn on? Well that happened the first time I made this. For some reason I just thought it wasn't done, so I continued baking it. And it burned, and it was nasty. (I'm sparing you the picture!!)

My daughter wanted a piece for breakfast before leaving for school (yes, I'm one of those evil Mom's that lets my kids have refined sugar...)and when she saw what the piece looked like that I was offering her she politely asked for cheerios. (It's okay to laugh now) I later realized I had been putting the toothpick right through one of the plums, no wonder it hadn't seemed done! I was determined to make it up to my daughter so I made another one and had a nice piece for her when she got home that afternoon. Since it's December I just used canned plums, but will plan on trying it this summer with the fresh fruit!
In a small bowl or mug: 1/4 a cup warm water, over which you sprinkle 1 packet (or 1 tablespoon) active dry yeast and a pinch of sugar (honey also works well).

In a large bowl: 1/2 a cup warm buttermilk, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 a cup vegetable oil (I use canola usually), 1 large egg, 1/2 a teaspoon salt, and grated zest of one lemon (or you can use 1/2 a teaspoon of lemon extract). Mix well, then add the yeast mixture and 1 cup of unbleached all purpose flour. Beat until smooth, then add remaining 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour and no more. The batter will be stiff and sticky.
Pour into a generously greased 9 inch spring form pan (or a 9 inch quiche pan at least 2 inches deep with a removable bottom). Scrape batter into the pan, then with lightly floured fingers spread around to fill the pan evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm area until slightly puffy. Probably around 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl: 2/3-3/4 a cup of sour cream, mixed with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Set aside.
To prepare the crumb topping:
1/3 a cup unbleached all purpose flour, 1/4 a cup sugar, 1/2 a teaspoon ground cinnamon, dash of ground mace. Cut (Or mix with your hands) 4 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into pieces.
2 cups fresh red Santa Rosa plums, or Italian prune plums, pitted and sliced. (Canned worked fine as well)
Pour the sour cream evenly over the batter. Distribute the plums.
Cover with the crumb topping.
The recipe calls for 400 F but I actually baked on 375 F. You can decide depending on where you live. Bake about 45 minutes, or until top is browned. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold, store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers